High Food Production in a Cold Climate
Why Buy a PSG from Alpine Greenhouses?
Because you need something better than this:
Alpine Greenhouses are designed for serious growers... and serious weather.
Our Passive Solar Greenhouses are designed for decades of trouble-free use in any climate.
South wall is reinforced with metal strapping to add shear strength.
Polycarbonate material is 8x stronger than glass, and carries a ten year warranty against yellowing.
Clear polycarbonate allows 84% light transmission, essential for growing tomatoes, other vegetables, and flowers.
Structure will withstand very high winds (~100 mph).
Window and Side Vent
Side vent located at bottom of structure to convectively move air to roof vent.
Side vent opens and closes automatically with solar-activated Gigavents, no power required!
Side window includes a pulley system to easily open and close.
Window opens to inside, minimizing effects of the wind from outside.
Ground Air Heat Transfer System (GAHT)
The optional GAHT system uses the thermal mass of the earth to cool the greenhouse when it's hot and heat it when it's cold. During the day, the fan draws hot air from the greenhouse through a manifold of pipes buried underground. This cools the greenhouse, and simultaneously heats the soil. When the greenhouse needs heating during cold periods, the GAHT™ system draws heat back up from the soil, creating warm air to heat the greenhouse. In other words, a GAHT™ system stores the heat from the greenhouse in the soil underground. The soil acts as thermal mass, helping regulate the air temperature of the greenhouse.
- Custom truss and top plate design is stronger than hurricane ties
- Designed to withstand 100+ mph wind (industry standard is 60mph) and100lbs per square foot of snow
- Architectural design helps wind push the structure into the ground instead of knocking it down
- Gigavent automatic vent openers are rated for 60+ mph wind
- All framing is constructed with screws instead of nails
- Constructed with 8mm twinwall polycarbonate (industry standard is 4.5mm)
- Fasteners with metal/rubber washer on 12" centers
- Metal trim on corners and ridge also utilizes screws with metal/rubber washer on 12" centers. Seals all exposed corners from weather; same system is used on modern houses and barns.
- Every seam, interior and exterior, is caulked with waterproof sealant
- Custom exhaust fans stop entry of air/cold/heat into structure. The industry standard fans do not.
- Custom exhaust fans are considerably quieter than the industry standard fans
- All wet areas and foundation are constructed with cedar resist decay
- Custom designed anchors connect to concrete piers or 5' rebar driven into the ground at opposite angles
- We have built an installed dozens of Passive Solar Greenhouses in Montana, Wyoming, and Canada